Friday, December 26, 2008

Finally! Double Gift Card Holder tutorial, TSSC50 and Blogger's challenge all in one!

I finally have something to post! This is not only my sketch challenge #50 it is also the mini tutorial I promised AND my blogger's challenge for the week! The blogger's challenge this week was simply Celebration. Well with New Years right around the corner I thought I would make a card to celebrate the new year. I kept the card pretty simple since I really wanted to focus on the directions for the double gift card holder. I sure hope you all had a fabulous Christmas. I know I did. So here is my card....


And now for the mini tutorial. Remember this is a double gift card holder.

You will begin with a full sheet of 8 1/2 by 11 card stock. Score it at 3, 5 1/2 and 8.



Be sure to fold the two outer score line in the valley direction and the inner score line in the mountain directions as shown below.


Make you you have good creases and then flip your card stock over so the middle crease is now a valley fold and add some strong adhesive (red line or in my case white line) to the edges as seen below. Be sure to stay very close to the edges so that you cards will have plenty of room to slide in and out.


Fold the middle section over so that it attaches to itself, this is what it will look like at this point. You will have a folded over flap in the center that is only attached on the edges.


For the next step I just lay the gift cards right on the fold and use my pencil to mark both sides. This keeps them centered.



Here you can see my pencil lines.


Next, use your word window punch upside down so that you can see you pencil lines. I punched it just a hair past the pencil line on the right and then again on the left hand side.

This is what it will look like, you will have a tiny piece left in the middle of the two window punches. Don't worry about that we will take care of that next.


Use your small circle punch to punch out a notch to make it easier to pull out the cards. Just line it up upside down again and center that little leftover piece in the middle.



This is what it will look like at this point.

And here is what it will look like when you have both sides done.


Add your gift cards and embellish as you please. It is so easy!


I always write a lot in my cards so I left one whole insert blank for that.



Hope you have fun with this.

14 nice people left a comment:

Lisa Somerville said...

cute - great tutorial

Rachel Hope said...

SUper card!!! Love the double gift card idea!

Dianne Adams said...

Very nice piece and great tutorial! Thanks for sharing.

Kimberly Gajewski said...

Wow Mary Jo! This is amazing! What a wonderful tutorial! Thanks so much for sharing with us! :D

Patti Chesky said...

I love the concept of the double gift card holder. I've made the single ones. Love them!!! Thanks for the tutorial!!!

Anonymous said...

Great card and tutorial. TFS!

Nikki Bond said...

Wonderful tutorial and love the finished project! This is GREAT! {sMILES}

Lori said...

What a great idea! Thanks for sharing the tutorial.

Suzanne @ Day to Day said...

How cute is this! Thanks for the tutorial.

Lisa Bohler said...

Thanks so much for the tutorial! Love the color choices and two gift cards would be a GREAT way to celebrate! Happy New Year!

Kerry D-C said...

Fun Fun Fun New Year's card! and great Tute!

Ida said...

Great project and Tutorial. I like the color scheme you used.

Kristen said...

Oh such a great idea. Awesome pjoject.

Connie Babbert said...

Neat double gift card! I could have used this idea at Christmas!